Friday, September 21, 2012

Knott County Kentucky Census Record notes: Bates & Hall families

Original Facebook post: Sunday, February 20, 2011.


Knott County Kentucky Census Record notes: Bates & Hall families
August 1992 search notes per Thursa (Halcomb-Nunley) Short

This ties to my Bates family line as Joseph and Mary A. Bates are parents to Andrew who’s father of Molene –my mother.

This ties to my Hall families as Nellie with husband/relationship with Dick Hall are parents of Sam hall father of Pemmie Hall mother of Zettie Bates  mother of Molene –my mother.

For added twist, of course no surprise, Nellie was married to William “Bill” as seen here and had children who are kin via the Bates side of my family; Nellie ties back to the Bates family via Hall ancestors in common.

No matter what tree branch I follow on my maternal side –I’m related to William and Nellie as noted on this census.


1900 Knott County Kentucky Census
               373. Bates, William  b Nov 1840  age 59 farmer
                              Nellie b Feb 1835 age 65 children 9; 7 living

1910 Knott County Kentucky Census
               112. Bates, William J.  age 70 married 42 years
                              Nellie age 75 3rd marriage, children 9; 6 living

               138. Bates, Joseph age 35 married 15 years farmer
                              Mary A. age 35 children 8; 8 living
                              Uriah age 12
                              Andrew age 10
                              Clarence age 9
                              Ernest age 7
                              Flora age 5
                              Mary A. age 3
                              Landis age 2
                              Tilden age 6/12

******************************************************
Updated note 01 FEB 2014.

     This is a picture I took of a picture my (Great) Aunt Rosie had been given of her parents -also the parents of my maternal great-grandparents.  I don't recall where she thought the original would have been,  but this would have been on a visit to her my mom & Granny Tudy Bates in the late 80s to the mid 90s.  Photo of Margaret Alice "Mary Alice" "Babe" (Vanover) and Joseph "Joe" Bates.


     In 1910, my maternal grandfather Andy Bates was 10 years old.  That's the age one of my sons is turning soon.  My, the world is certainly a different place than it was back then.  This is a picture of my maternal grandfather -Andrew J. "Andy" Bates on his front porch.  Wife of Zettie Walker "Tudy" (Johnson) Bates; son of Joe and Mary Alice (Vanover) Bates; father of Molene (Bates) Halcomb my mother.
   
     In the bottom left corner, I see the old clipboard.  This would have been taken before I would have started writing family story notes.  I wonder what list was being made on that board.  He is dressed in his Sunday clothes, he as a Preacher with the Old Regular Baptist.  Or, it could have been a picture taken before or after a funeral.
   









1 comment:

  1. who made this im looking for my family also my last name would have been bates before being doppted out

    ReplyDelete