Monday, January 16, 2012

Soup Beans

     Often, younger generations seem to have a hard time keeping up with family lore and recipes. Given the many miles that generations move to seek work or be near a new found love -it may be months and months before wee-ones have a chance to be back around their kinfolk for "dinner on the ground" or gathering.

     One of the staples of our eastern Kentucky mountain pioneers and for many of us present day branches too, is Soup Beans.  You just can't beat how affordable it is and so versatile at almost any dinner table.  I love them so much (best about 2 days old), I prefer them with warmed up cornbread for breakfast. 



     So, to help younger generations keep it going, I happened across this recipe ages ago that even has pictures of just how easy it is to put a pot on the stove.  Perfect for these brisk winter days.  Warning, the cornbread she makes is not the mountain kind, but it's pretty tasty itself.  You Northern generations likely can relate to it better than the mountain bread.  (I'll get around to telling you how amazingly easy and cheap it is as well... one day.)

Beans and Cornbread

     The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

     Her blog has always been a favorite. And her books make it simple to pull them off the shelf for quick reference.  Also, the photography helps calm after a stressful day. 

     I find that if I am just too lazy to make them myself... Cracker Barrel has pretty good "Pinto Beans"... add a side of fresh cut onion, some of their okra.

Now... I gotta go make some...

No comments:

Post a Comment